Friday, February 20, 2009

Cover Letter Response

Overall, I felt that this was a fairly reliable source, and the advice that was given about cover letters was rather informative. First of all, I totally agree with the point that was emphasized about the best use of a cover letter. I also believe that a cover letter should be utilized solely as a target to reach employers, and that there's no use for it if one is unsure about the goals or duties of the company in question. In addition, I agree that the cover letter should not be used as a sort of "crutch" and sent to as many companies as possible. As the tutorial pin-pointed, it should be utilized in an efficient manner in direct marketing instead. On the other hand, I don't agree with the pointer which stated that a P.S. should be used for emphasis. In my opinion, including a P.S. on a cover letter does not display professionalism. This is one example of how I believe the source failed to be reliable.

The section of the tutorial most helpful to me is the cover letter checklist. Although it has some flaws, it provides a sort of guideline for one to follow when writing a cover letter. It can prevent one from forgetting an important portion of the letter or from making it too lengthy. In addition, the sample cover letter is also very useful. It provides an example of an effective cover letter that can be viewed which will allow one to see how to write one successfully as well as what points to emphasize. When writing my cover letter for class, I definitely plan to use the cover letter checklist, so that I can use some of the good advice it provides but also learn from its mistakes. That way, I can insure that my cover letter is complete and well-written.

No comments:

Post a Comment